Lectures and hands-on laboratory modules on basic engineering tools such as micro- and nano-fabrication, and basic bio-based and bio-inspired sensing and actuation tools such as excitation of neurons and neuro-networks, activation of muscle cell contraction, tools to manipulate sensing-actuation integration, and computational tools will be developed. Furthermore, BSBA related device-making and its potential applications to different application areas such as agriculture, energy, and medicine will be considered as part of the hands-on lab modules.
Hands-On Lab Modules
- Biosensing in Agriculture
- Cell Biololgy
- Microfluidics Lab
- MNTL Experiment 1 - Lithography
- MNTL Experiment 2 - Deposition
- MNTL Experiment 3 - Dry Etching
- MNTL Experiment 4 - Inspection
- Photonic Crystals Lab
Outline of Two-Week Summer Institute Activities
This information is subject to change.
- Opening ceremonies and reception.
- Fundamentals of biological systems
- Principles of engineered sensors and actuators
- Basics of neuroscience and neuro-networks
- Sensing and actuation in cells
- Sensing and actuation in biological tissues
- Sensing-actuation integration in biological systems
- Biomimetic, engineered sensors and actuators
- Basic micro and nano fabrication techniques
- Basic cell biology lab
- Cultural exchange activities
- Weekend excursion of cultural/historical places